How do I share a Bound Book between multiple computers?
There are two methods to sharing a Bound Book between multiple computers. The methods differ based on the Bound Book Type (File or SQL Server) used.
File Bound Book Method
In order to share a Bound Book File between computers all computers need to be able to access the location that the Bound Book file will be stored. This is typically done through a Windows network share. The Bound Book file may reside on a file server or a desktop computer however to allow other computers access to it a Windows share will need to be created to the folder location of the Bound Book file
Lets take an example where we have 3 computers involved
- Computer 1 will be the Server. The Bound Book file will reside on the Server's file system
- Computer 2 will be a Desktop. This computer might be a Sales counter computer with EZ Arms Keeper installed on it
- Computer 3 will be a Tablet. This computer might be a customer Kiosk computer with EZ Arms Keeper installed on it
1. First we need to create or move an existing Bound Book file onto the Server computer
2. Create a new directory (EZ Arms Bound Book) on the Server computer on the C drive
Example: C:\EZ Arms Bound Book
3. Create or move your existing Bound Book file to the C:\EZ Arms Bound Book
In this case I move an existing Bound Book called "My Bound Book.ffl" into the C:\EZ Arms Bound Book folder
4. Now you need to create a Windows Network Share
5. Right Click on the C:\EZ Arms Bound Book folder
6. Select "Properties" from the context menu
7. Click the Sharing tab
8. Click the Share button
9. Select Everyone and make sure it has Read/Write for the Permission Level
10. Click the Share button
11. Click the Done button
12. Note: The \\DEN\EZ Arms Bound Book is the location of the Windows Network Share. In your case "DEN" will be replaced by the computer name of the computer you created the share on. Please write this path down as it will be required when connecting the Desktop and Kiosk computers to this Bound Book
13. Click Close button.
14. One the Desktop open EZ Arms Keeper
15. Go to File->Open
16. Select the File Bound Book Type
17. In the Search bar in the location of the Bound Book Share and then press Enter
18. After you press enter you should see your bound book file. In this example it is "My Bound Book.ffl"
19. Select your Bound Book File
20. Click the Open Button
21. Your Desktop computer is not connected to your Bound Book File.
22. Repeat steps 14 - 20 with the Kiosk computer.
SQL Server Bound Book Method
1. First you need to have already created a Microsoft SQL Server Bound Book. See Installing Microsoft SQL Server.
2. Next Open EZ Arms Keeper on the Desktop computer
3. Go to File Open
4. Select the Microsoft SQL Server Bound Book Type
5. If you know the Microsoft SQL Server Name enter it otherwise, click the down arrow button and select <Browse for more...>
6. In this example the Server Name is DEN\EZAK
7. Now enter the Bound Book Name. If you don't know the name click the down arrow button and select <Browse for more...>
8. In this example the Bound Book name is "my bound book"
9. Click OK
10. Your Desktop computer is not connected to your Bound Book File.
11. Repeat steps 2 - 9 with the Kiosk computer.